This is the only chicken parmesan recipe you will ever need! Tender, crispy chicken breasts, marinara sauce, lots of parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasonings. Serve over cooked spaghetti.
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! You're going to love this easy, classic chicken parmesan recipe! Serve over spaghetti for a filling, comforting, family meal.
Fun food fact, according to Wikipedia, "Chicken parmigiana, or chicken parmesan, is a dish that consists of breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese. A slice of ham or bacon is sometimes added. It is also known colloquially in the United States as chicken parm and in Australia as a parma, parmi, or parmy."
Why We Love this Recipe
We love this recipe because the chicken is crispy! Lightly breading it and quickly browning it ensures a crispy crust. The breading is a simple mixture of parmesan cheese, Panko breadcrumbs, and dried Italian seasoning. Panko breadcrumbs are much more crispier than regular breadcrumbs and ensure the breading won't get soggy.
Easy Sauce for Chicken Parmesan
We'll use jarred marinara sauce for a no-fuss sauce. Rao's is my favorite brand because it's low sugar and has great flavor. If tomato sauce is more your style, feel free to use it instead.
What could be better than a crispy piece of chicken, topped with freshly sliced mozzarella and marinara sauce on top of spaghetti? Not much, my friend. Not much.
Chicken parmesan with pasta is an easy chicken dinner that's ready in 35-40 minutes. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner yet elegant enough for a holiday feast. The recipe can easily be doubled.
please scroll down to the printable recipe for detailed ingredients, step by step instructions with photographs, and helpful tips.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Flour to coat the chicken (coating 1)
- Eggs for the egg wash (coating 2)
- Parmesan cheese, Panko breadcrumbs, and dried Italian seasoning (coating 3)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for browning the breaded chicken breasts
- Mozzarella cheese
- More parmesan cheese 🙂
- Marinara sauce
- Fresh basil for garnish
Quick Peek at the Directions
- Pound the chicken to ½-inch thickness.
- Lightly coat chicken in flour.
- Dredge in egg wash.
- Coat with bread crumb mixture.
- Brown in olive oil.
- Layer chicken, mozzarella, and marinara sauce.
- Top with parmesan cheese and bake. Serve over cooked spaghetti. Eat with a smile 🙂
Alternate Directions - Make it a Casserole!
For a change of pace, cook and drain your spaghetti noodles first. Layer the noodles at the bottom of the casserole dish. Prepare the chicken as directed, and place it on top of the spaghetti. Add mozzarella cheese, then marinara sauce. Top with parmesan cheese and bake.
This recipe makes 4 generous servings.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until approximately ½” thick.
- Have two rimmed plates and one shallow bowl ready for the 3-step coating process.
- When browning the chicken, be sure not to cook through. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
- Serve with a side salad and crusty bread.
More chicken and pasta dish recipes!
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon. Reheat in the microwave just until warmed.
If you try this delicious chicken parmesan recipe, please let me know in the comments below.
Join my email list to get Southern recipes sent to your inbox. How easy is that, right?!
Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti
- 9" x 13" casserole dish
- meat mallet or rolling pin
- 2 shallow rimmed plates
- 1 medium bowl
- large skillet
- large pot for cooking spaghetti
- colander to drain spaghetti
- 3 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1-½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 large)
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1-½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1-¼ cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 lb box of spaghetti
Optional for Serving
- fresh basil
- parmesan cheese
- Place the oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 425ºF. Pour one cup of the marinara sauce into a 9”x13” baking dish and spread into an even layer across the bottom. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until approximately ½” thick. Remove and discard top sheet of plastic wrap. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Plate 1: Pour the flour onto a shallow, rimmed plate. Bowl 1: Whisk the eggs and water together in a large, wide bowl. Set aside. Plate 2: Add the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and one-quarter cup Parmesan cheese to another shallow, rimmed plate. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and gently stir to combine. Set aside.
- Bread each chicken breast by first lightly dredging in the flour and then coating in the egg wash. Gently shake off any excess flour or egg mixture before moving to the next step.
- Press each breast into the bread crumb mixture until thoroughly coated on both sides. Once coated, place each breast onto a large plate and set aside. Repeat until all breasts are breaded.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add half the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook until lightly browned on each side, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Once browned,transfer the breasts to the baking dish and arrange in a single layer. Repeat this process with remaining olive oil and chicken.
- Top the browned chicken breasts with the sliced Mozzarella and spread the remaining marinara sauce across the top in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated Parmesan cheese on top and place the baking dish into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove baking dish from oven and cool for several minutes. Divide the spaghetti among individual serving plates and top each serving with a cheesy chicken breast and some sauce. To serve, sprinkle some fresh basil and/or Parmesan cheese on top, if desired.