- 1-1/2 lbs yellow squash (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery mixture
- 1/4 cup full fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chicken flavored bouillon base comes in a jar; Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken is what I use
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- salt (test flavor before baking, add salt if needed)
Preheat oven to 350F.
Place the sliced squash into a large pot. Add just enough water to cover squash. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer the squash for 5 minutes. Drain squash in a colander and let it stay in the colander for now.
Melt butter in a small skillet. Add the frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery mixture. Simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat. Add mayonnaise, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix well.
Add cooked squash and cheese to skillet. Mix well. Taste test for flavor and add salt, if desired.
Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until slightly browned. Garnish with fresh parsley and extra cheese if desired.
Use a mini food chopper to finely mince the onion and celery. I use this Mini Chopper from Proctor Silex. Available now on Amazon. The recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9" x 13" baking dish.
Can be baked in a small casserole dish.
Serving: 5.4oz | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17.3g | Saturated Fat: 7.2g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 217mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g