A quick and easy vegetable hamburger soup that's perfect for the whole family. Ready in 45 minutes, so it can be made on any day of the week.
This hearty vegetable soup is made with simple ingredients such as ground beef, carrots, green beans, corn, mushrooms, and tomato juice. Wondering what to cook for dinner tonight? This soup will become your favorite comfort food!
Another great soup recipe that's easy and delicious is my 15 Bean Slow Cooker Soup. Just put all the ingredients in your slow cooker, and cook on high for 6 hours.
Why This Recipe Works
Little Prep: This hearty soup is ready to eat in less than 45 minutes. There's very little prep involved; just cook the ground beef and chop some carrots. Then dump the rest of the ingredients into the pot, stir, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
Simple Short Cuts: You may notice that I have several recipes on the blog that use the shortcut frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery mixture. This is a huge time-saving step that I take advantage of every chance I get. I always have a bag or two in my freezer and use it for omelets, chili, and many other recipes.
Budget-Friendly: I especially love using ground beef for this recipe. Ground beef is a quick, easy, and budget-friendly alternative to beef stew meat or a roast.
Freezer Friendly: This soup is freezer friendly or you can save the leftovers for meal prep. Also, this soup can be made any day of the year, not just when the weather is cold.
This soup recipe very versatile! Substitute your favorite vegetable for the ones I've used. Add some cooked pasta or rice.
Keep in mind that the more ingredients you ADD to this recipe, the more likely you'll need to ADD more tomato juice.
What Goes Into This Recipe
Tomato Juice - Use V8 or beef broth if that's all you have.
Ground Beef - Substitute ground turkey or venison instead of ground beef.
Frozen Seasoning Blend - Substitute with fresh onion, bell pepper, and celery. Use the following measurements: 1 cup diced onion, 1 cup diced bell pepper, and ½ cup chopped celery. Saute fresh vegetables in a little olive oil until tender before using in this soup.
Fresh Vegetables - carrots and mushrooms.
Canned Vegetables - green beans, whole kernel corn.
Seasonings - bay leaf, minced garlic, black pepper, basil, oregano, (or use Italian seasoning mix), and salt to taste.
How to Make Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
(1) Brown the ground beef in a large pot, like my Calphalon 5-quart pot, then drain the grease.
(2) Add all the vegetables.
(3) Add tomato juice and seasonings. Mix well.
(4) Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat. Slow simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Tips and Suggestions
- Before adding salt, taste test the soup first! Canned vegetables and tomato juice already contain salt so you want to be sure the soup isn't too salty.
- While the soup is simmering, why not make a pan of my southern jalapeno cornbread! It's super moist and cheesy and the perfect side dish for soup.
Side Dishes for Vegetable Soup
We love to serve cornbread with this vegetable soup! However, here are other suggestions of what to serve with this soup:
- Saltine crackers
- French bread
- Buttermilk biscuits (the frozen biscuits at the grocery store are delicious)
- Tater tots
- Simple side salad
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, vegetable ground beef soup freezes well. Allow the soup to completely cool off. Then place into a freezer container or sealable plastic freezer bag (write the date on the bag so you can easily remember it). Frozen soup will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge the day before you plan to eat if. Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
This soup will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store it in airtight containers. I like to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids. These containers are great for meal prep, too!
To make this soup in a crockpot (slow cooker), place the cooked ground beef and the remaining ingredients into your slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
More Soup Recipes
This recipe was originally published in January 2020 and was updated in 2021.
If you try this recipe, leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you.
Easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- large pot with lid
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups frozen, chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery blend
- 1-½ cups carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1-½ cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces canned green beans, drained
- 16 ounces canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot, then drain the grease.
- Add vegetables.
- Add tomato juice and seasonings. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a slow simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf. Check the flavor and add salt, if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy to my readers. I'm not a nutritionist and I don't guarantee the accuracy of this data. The data may differ according to the brands I used versus the brands you use. To calculate the data yourself using your brands, try using an online nutrition calculator or app.