Creamy chicken spaghetti made with rotisserie chicken, Rotel tomatoes, Velveeta Cheese, and cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups. This easy chicken spaghetti recipe is ready in 30 minutes. This is serious comfort food!
Another great recipe on the blog that uses spaghetti noodles, is my Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti. Tender, crispy chicken breasts, marinara sauce, lots of parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasonings. Mmm!
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! I'm excited to share with you this easy family dinner recipe. Most everybody loves spaghetti, especially kids since it's fun to eat.
This chicken spaghetti is perfectly versatile! It's a quick and easy skillet dinner, or pour it into a casserole dish, like I do, and enjoy it as a casserole. I've had many people tell me that they top it with bread crumbs and melted butter before baking. How outstanding is that!
The Rotel tomatoes add that classic hint of heat that this recipe is famous for. Thankfully, it comes in various heat levels. Not everybody likes to scorch their tongue, lol. I like the mild but my brother likes the habanero Rotel tomatoes. Ouch!
Most spaghetti recipes are budget-friendly. This particular recipe costs around $20.25 using popular brand names (as of September 2019) and feeds about 6-8 grown people.
You can lower the cost by using generic or store brands. You don't have to use Rotel tomatoes; use the store brand diced tomatoes with chilis. Substitute the Velveeta Cheese with the store brand version.
Why Make this Crazy Good Comfort Food
This is a favorite quick and easy dinner that everyone loves. It's definitely southern comfort food. I know that "Velveeta" cheese is not a healthy choice so we don't eat it on a regular basis.
However, when we're craving comfort food and we've been eating healthy and working out on a regular basis, we'll splurge and make an exception for this recipe! Velveeta cheese is the best option for this recipe. It's super creamy and blends great with the noodles and other ingredients.
Tips and Faqs
I use a couple of shortcuts that help speed up the prep time, which comes in handy on a busy weeknight when hungry people are looking at you and wondering when you'll ring the dinner bell, LOL.
One short cut is to use rotisserie chicken. Who's the genius that came up with this wonderful, delicious, time-saving ready to eat fully cooked chicken!
The other short cut is to use the frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery blend. I always have a bag of this stuff in my freezer. I use it in chili, jambalaya, and omelets.
The leftovers (if you have any leftovers) for this cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe are absolutely fantastic the next day, too. Now, let's get down to business and talk about the ingredients needed for chicken spaghetti with Rotel and the instructions on how to make it.
Large pot for boiling pasta
Pasta strainer (if you're in need of a good strainer, I recommend the LiveFresh pasta strainer)
Large pot to make the creamy sauce and mix everything together
Casserole dish (optional)
please scroll down to the printable recipe card for detailed ingredient information
- Rotisserie chicken
- Spaghetti noodles
- Velveeta cheese
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of chicken soup
- Rotel tomatoes
- Chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery mixture (we call this the "trinity" in our house)
- Salt and black pepper to taste (we leave the salt out because the soups and cheese are fairly salty)
Do you love pasta recipes? If so, be sure to check out my Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Pasta recipe. It's made with chicken breasts, broccoli florets, penne pasta, and an easy homemade alfredo sauce.
If a beef noodle casserole is on your meal planner, try my Beef Noodle Casserole recipe. It's filled with ground beef, egg noodles, robust tomato sauce, and a creamy cheesy sauce.
For the ultimate easy lasagna, try my Easy Meat Lasagna Recipe! Easy homemade lasagna with three layers of lasagna noodles, meat sauce, and lots of creamy ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. You’ll love this traditional Italian lasagna recipe! Easy make-ahead and freezer-friendly, too.
Now, back to the main topic of conversation! This can't miss pasta dish is super for a super bowl meal. The recipe makes about 6 generous servings. Serve with rolls or french bread to stretch it even further.
How to Make It
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the meat from the Rotisserie chicken and shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
STEP 2: Cut the velveeta cheese into squares and set aside.
STEP 3: Boil spaghetti noodles per instructions on the package. Add 1-2 teaspoon salt to water, if desired. Use a large pot to boil spaghetti noodles; at least a 5-quart pot and stir frequently while boiling! Drain the noodles when they are cooked.
STEP 4: While the spaghetti is cooking, add the butter to a 5-quart pot (y'all know I pulled out my favorite Calphalon pot for this) and melt over medium heat.
STEP 5: Once melted, add the frozen chopped onion, bell peppers, and celery mixture. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add both soups, undrained Rotel tomatoes, cubed cheese, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk until the cheese is completely melted.
STEP 6: Add the cooked, drained spaghetti and the chicken to the pot with the cheesy Rotel mixture. Stir well.
STEP 7: Serve immediately! Alternatively, you could pour the Rotel chicken spaghetti into a large casserole dish and bake uncovered at 350 for 10 minutes to get it nice and hot. However, baking it may thicken it up more. If this happens, add a small amount of milk or chicken broth to create a more creamy texture.
- Cooked ground beef instead of chicken (a reader told me about this option).
- Shredded cheddar instead of Velveeta
- Two-three large, cooked and shredded chicken breasts or thighs instead of rotisserie chicken
This recipe makes about 7 generous servings. You can stretch it further by serving with a vegetable and french bread.
Thanks to my readers, I've received many recipe additions you may also want to consider. I have not tried these, but they do sound really tasty!
- Baby spinach
- Sliced mushrooms
- Green peas
- Sliced jalapenos
- Smoked sausage
- Fried chicken tenders
- Garlic powder and onion powder
- Top with parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and butter
- Top with crushed, buttered Ritz crackers
- Use queso instead of velveeta or salsa instead of Rotel tomatoes
There are many great sides that go well with this dish! My first choice would be something light such as a green salad because the casserole itself is very filling.
Or try these delicious Southern Style Green Beans from Soulfully Made
- Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids.
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti freezes very well! Be sure to freeze in an airtight container to prevent ice crystals from forming. When you're ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then heat in a 350F oven (or heat in the microwave) until piping hot.
If you tried this Rotel Chicken Spaghetti recipe, please rate and review it below so I know how it turned out. If you'd like a variety of recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up here on my subscribe page!
Easy Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
- Large pot for boiling pasta
- Pasta strainer
- Large (5-qt) pot
- measuring cup
- Casserole dish (optional)
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded or chopped into bite-size pieces See Note (E) for alternatives
- 1 lb Spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb Velvetta cheese (cut into cubes)
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup (10.5-ounce can)
- 1 can Cream of mushroom soup (10.5-ounce can)
- 1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes (10-ounce can) undrained (choose your level of heat)
- 1 cup Frozen, chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery blend (use 2 cups if desired)
- ¼ cup Butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste (we leave the salt out because the soups and cheese are fairly salty).
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the meat from the chicken and rough chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Cut the cheese into squares and set aside.
- Boil spaghetti noodles per instructions on the package. Add 1-2 teaspoon salt to water, if desired. Use a large pot to boil spaghetti noodles; at least a 5-quart pot and stir frequently while boiling! Drain the noodles when they are cooked.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, add the butter to a 5-quart pot and melt over medium heat. Once melted, add the chopped onion, bell peppers, and celery. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add both soups, tomatoes, cubed cheese, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the cooked, drained spaghetti and the chicken to the pot with the cheesy rotel mixture. Stir well.
- Serve immediately! Alternatively, you could pour the Rotel chicken spaghetti into a large casserole dish and bake uncovered at 350 for 10 minutes to get it nice and hot. However, baking it may thicken it up more. If this happens, add a small amount of milk or chicken broth to create a more creamy texture.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
Please try these easy recipes from My Kitchen Serenity: