This thick and creamy soup is ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! Frozen broccoli florets, fresh potato, cream, and cheeses combine for a flavorful, totally satisfying meal. You'll love this easy tasty Instant Pot recipe!
Why We Love It
We finally got a hint of fall in the air so naturally, soup is on my brain. I'm so pleased to share with you this wonderful soup recipe. It's a quick and easy meal that works any day of the week. Because it's made in your Instant Pot, there's not a lot of waiting around for it to cook.
If you have an Instant Pot, then you're either a seasoned fan or just starting out. This recipe is perfect for anyone because it contains simple ingredients and easy directions.
Let's take a quick peek at the ingredients needed for this broccoli, cheese, and potato soup!
large potato - I like to use a Russet potato for this soup.
chicken broth - You can use the canned, organic chicken broth or you can make your own broth by cooking a chicken or using bullion cubes dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water.
frozen broccoli florets - You can use fresh broccoli instead of frozen. I mostly use frozen broccoli because it requires no rinsing or chopping.
cheeses - Monterey jack and sharp cheddar cheeses.
heavy cream - the heavy cream makes the soup rich and creamy. However, you could use half and half as a substitute.
extra virgin olive oil - this is used for sauteing the vegetables.
veggies - shallots and red bell pepper.
seasonings - garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How to Make It
Only 6 easy steps for this broccoli, cheese, and potato soup
(1) Saute the shallots and seasonings in your Instant Pot till tender.
(2) Add diced potato.
(3) Add broth.
(4) Add frozen broccoli. Cook on high for 2 minutes.
(5) Add cheeses.
(6) Add heavy cream. Stir, eat, and enjoy!
Tips and Notes
Make it Gluten Free
Surprise! This recipe is already gluten-free.
Make it Vegetarian or Vegan
For a vegetarian or vegan alternative, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Swap out the heavy cream with coconut cream. Use your favorite vegan cheese like SO Delicious Cheddar Style Shreds, or leave it out completely.
Need to add protein? Add 8 oz cooked chopped ham or chicken to the soup after it has cooked.
What to Serve with it
Sometimes referred to as Cheesy Vegetable Chowder, this simple homemade soup is very comforting. Serve with crusty french bread for an out of this world meal. We think it's the best, and hopefully, you will too.
This broccoli, cheese, and potato soup freezes well. Allow the soup to completely cool off. Then place it into a freezer container or sealable plastic freezer bag (write the date on the bag so you can easily remember it). Frozen soup will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge the day before you plan to eat it. Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon.
More Soup Recipes
If you’d like some recipe inspiration delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter on my subscribe page.
If you tried this recipe, please rate it and leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant pot
- Sharp kitchen knife
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup(s)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced small, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large Russet potato, diced into small pieces (about ½ inch)
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably organic
- 12 ounces bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the Saute function. Set to the Normal or medium setting.
- When the pot is hot, add the shallot, all but 2 tablespoons of the red pepper, garlic powder, salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the shallots start to soften.
- Next, add the potatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes start to develop some color. Stir occasionally during this step.
- Add the chicken broth and gently scrape the bottom with a rubber spatula to release the brown bits. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Add the frozen broccoli and put the lid on. Lock the lid into place and make sure the vent is set to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” setting and adjust setting to“High,” if necessary. Set cook time to 2 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release for 5 minutes, then do a "quick release" for any remaining steam. Carefully remove the lid.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese, stir, add the other cup of cheese. Stir until it's completely melted.
- Temper the heavy cream by add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid from the Instant Pot to it before adding it to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Taste test and add additional seasonings, as needed. When ready to serve, top with additional cheese and the rest of the red pepper.
This recipe was originally published in 2020 and was updated in 2022.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy to my readers. I'm not a nutritionist and I don't guarantee the accuracy of this data. The data may differ according to the brands I used versus the brands you use. To calculate the data yourself using your brands, try using an online nutrition calculator or app.