This thick and creamy soup is ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! Frozen broccoli florets, fresh potato, cream, and cheeses combine for a flavorful, healthy meal. You'll love this easy tasty Instant Pot recipe!
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! We finally got a hint of fall in the air so naturally, soup is on my brain. I'm so pleased to share with you this wonderful soup recipe. It's a quick and easy meal that works any day of the week. Because it's made in your Instant Pot, there's not a lot of waiting around for it to cook.
Yes, you can use fresh broccoli instead of the frozen! I mostly use the frozen broccoli because it requires no rinsing or chopping.
If you have an Instant Pot, then you're either a seasoned fan or just starting out. This recipe is perfect for anyone because it contains simple ingredients and easy directions.
There's a popular restaurant in town that serves a fantastic broccoli cheese soup. Every time my daughter and I go there, we always order it. Last time though, I thought to myself how wonderful it would be to make this at home. We can have seconds with no waiting in line, lol.
Tips and Notes
Make it Gluten Free
Surprise! This recipe is already gluten-free.
Make it Vegetarian or Vegan
For a vegetarian or vegan alternative, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Swap out the heavy cream with coconut cream. Use your favorite vegan cheese like SO Delicious Cheddar Style Shreds, or leave it out completely.
What to Serve with it
Sometimes referred to as Cheesy Vegetable Chowder, this simple homemade soup is very comforting. Serve with crusty french bread for an out of this world meal. We think it's the best, and hopefully, you will too.
Need to add protein? Add 8 oz cooked chopped ham or chicken to the soup after it has cooked.
What is an Instant Pot?
Instant pots aren't a new thing, per se. I remember my mother using a pressure cooker many times back in the 70s! She would cook stew meat in the pressure cooker and it would come out super tender in only a matter of minutes versus baking in the oven or on the stove for hours. After all, she had a 4-kid family to feed and worked full time. Thank goodness they've "reinvented" the old-time pressure cooker with the ever so popular Instant Pot!
What's the Best Instant Pot?
With so many brands of "instant pots" on the market now, how does one choose which one to purchase? Sometimes you can get away with purchasing the least expensive item on the shelf and it all works out fine, no problem. But for an instant pot, the safety features have to be of utmost importance; therefore, I would recommend sticking with a tried-and-true original. The Instant Pot brand has a minimum of 10 safety features. Let's face it, you don't want any mishaps when cooking food under such high pressure! Flashback to my childhood: the top of our pressure cooker flew off under the pressure; there was food for days on the kitchen ceiling!! Having said that, you just can't go wrong with the Original Instant Pot! It's more than just a pressure cooker. It has 6 different uses: pressure cooker, rice cooker, and yes, even a slow cooker. You can steam, saute, and warm up food!
This soup freezes well. Allow the soup to completely cool off. Then place into a freezer container or sealable plastic freezer bag (write the date on the bag so you can easily remember it). Frozen soup will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge the day before you plan to eat if. Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon.
What is in this Broccoli Cheese Soup
Finally 🙂 Let's take a quick peek at the ingredients. Please scroll down to the recipe card for detailed ingredients, step by step directions, photos, and helpful information!
- large potato
- chicken broth
- frozen broccoli florets
- monterey jack cheese
- sharp cheddar cheese
- heavy cream
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium shallots
- large red bell pepper
- garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper
How to Make Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup
Please see the recipe for detailed information and step-by-step photos. Here are the basic instructions, in a nutshell:
- Saute the shallots and seasonings in your Instant Pot till tender.
- Add potato and broth.
- Add frozen broccoli. Cook on high 2 minutes.
- Add cheese and heavy cream.
- Stir, eat, enjoy!
Check out more Instant Pot Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and let me know how it turned it.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant pot
- Sharp kitchen knife
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup(s)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced small, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow potato, chopped small
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably organic
- 12 oz bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “Normal” (medium) setting.
- Once hot, add the diced shallot, all but 2 tablespoons of the red pepper,and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the potatoes and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes start to develop some color.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot inner cooking pot by pouring in the chicken broth and gently scraping the bottom with a rubber spatula to release the brown bits. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Add the frozen broccoli and cover. Lock the lid into place and make sure the vent is set to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” setting and adjust setting to“High,” if necessary. Set cook time to 2 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam before carefully removing the lid.
- Add the cheese, one cup at a time, and stir until completely melted.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid from the Instant Pot to it before adding it to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed. Serve immediately topped with additional shredded cheese and remaining red pepper on top.