Easy, cheesy Mexican cornbread with cream corn, sour cream, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, and self-rising cornmeal (no Jiffy!). Super moist! No matter what you call it, Mexican Cornbread or Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread, this 3-layered cornbread is the moistest, cheesiest, and tastiest jalapeno cornbread yet!
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! Several years ago, I had the notion to make a 3-layered Mexican Cornbread that consisted of a thick layer of cheese in between 2 layers of jalapeno cornbread.
This is now our favorite way to eat cornbread! The thick layer of cheese in the middle is like an ooey-gooey treat. Not a fan of layers? No problem, just mix everything up and bake as directed.
If you're looking for a southern jalapeno cornbread recipe made with Jiffy mix, then please stay so I can convince you to try this recipe instead! This mexican cornbread from scratch is superior to Jiffy cornbread mix. I assure you this cornbread is better than anything that comes in a box.
Do you prefer to bake cornbread in a glass dish, cast iron skillet, or pie plate? Honestly, I've baked cornbread in every kind of dish, pan, and skillet out there. And sometimes I've used a muffin pan. I even have heart-shaped tins that I occasionally use to make my hubby smile.
What Makes this Cornbread so Moist?
This homemade cornbread is super moist thanks mostly to the sour cream, cream corn, and oil. It's rich and flavorful thanks to the cheese and jalapenos. This recipe uses cornmeal mix (not jiffy mix) which means the baking powder and salt are already included in the mix.
please scroll down to the printable recipe card for detailed ingredients and helpful info
Self-rising yellow cornmeal MIX - the mix contains just the right amount of cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder
Vegetable oil - ensures a moist cornbread
Cream corn - adds just the right amount of sweetness
Sour cream - adds moisture and creamy texture
Large eggs - binds the batter
Shredded cheddar cheese - divided (can substitute Mexican blend or Monterey Jack for more flavor)
Fresh jalapenos - adds a slight, spicy kick
How to Make It
It's actually simple and easy to make this cornbread! To make this layered cornbread, combine all ingredients and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl and mix well.
Pour half of the batter into a greased 8" x 8" baking dish or 9" cast iron skillet. Add the other 1 cup of cheese on top, then add the remaining batter.
Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until browned around the edges and firm in the middle.
Note: This cornbread is also crazy delicious without the layers. Just mix all the ingredients, pour into a greased baking dish or skillet, and bake as directed. Want Mexican Cornbread Muffins? Just spray your standard size muffin tin cups with non-stick spray. Combine all of the ingredients. Fill each muffin cup ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned.
This recipe makes about 8 servings when baked in a 9-inch cast iron skillet or an 8x8-inch square pan.
Facts and Tips
Mexican cornbread is an easy side dish that goes great with just about anything. Most people enjoy it with a bowl of chili or stew. This cheesy Mexican cornbread goes GREAT with my Easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup. Try it with our Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup! Cornbread is a great side dish with Red Beans and Rice with Sausage, too. And be sure to check out these Leftover Taco Meat Pinwheels!
- Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon.
- This cornbread freezes well. Place in a heavy-duty sealable freezer bag; be sure to squeeze out excess air. I like to write the date on the bag so I'll remember exactly when I need to use it by. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Putting this cornbread in the microwave and zapping it for a long period of time is a no-no! Reheat one slice at a time for a small amount of time. Wrap it in a paper towel that has been slightly dampened with water. Then heat it in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds. You want it to be warm, but not scalding hot because it may turn hard or even worse, it might dry out!
Cornbread is best freshly made and baked. If you must prepare ahead of time, keep the mixture tightly covered in the refrigerator for no more than 8 hours ahead of the time you're planning to bake it.
Secret to Moist Cornbread
As stated earlier, this homemade cornbread is super moist thanks to the sour cream, cream corn, and oil.
Need more Tex-Mex Recipe Inspiration?
Try this Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole
Want an easy crock pot recipe? Try this Easy Crock Pot Mexican Casserole
Bring out your instant pot for this tasty recipe Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Bowls
What my Readers are Saying
-added homemade bacon bits to the batter. Definitely a keeper!
-my family loved it! Will do it more.
-loved this jalapeno cheddar cornbread. So moist!
-we didn't do the layers. Delicious!
If you tried this delicious recipe, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
If you'd like more simple and easy recipe inspiration delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter.
- 9" pie plate, 8" x 8" pan, or 9" cast iron skillet
- measuring cup(s)
- large mixing bowl
- 1-½ cups Self rising cornmeal MIX (yellow)
- ⅓ cup Oil
- 1 cup Cream corn
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 cups Grated cheddar cheese (DIVIDED)
- 1-2 Diced fresh jalapenos (use more if you like want it extra spicy!) see recipe notes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9-inch pie plate, 8" x 8" pan, or 9" cast iron skillet.
- Combine cornmeal mix, oil, cream corn, sour cream, eggs, 1 cup cheese, and jalapeno(s) in large bowl. Mix well with a whisk.
- Layer the following in the greased pie plate or skillet: ½ cornbread mixture, then the other 1 cup cheese, then the remaining cornbread mixture spread evenly on top. Do not mix the layers together*
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until golden brown and the center is firm.
- *NOTE: If you don't want to do the layers, simply combine all the ingredients, mix well, and bake as directed.
If you like this recipe let me know by leaving me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!