This classic salad is made with crisp romaine lettuce, fresh broccoli, and ripe tomatoes with toasted slivered almonds and toasted Ramen noodles tossed in a homemade sweet and sour vinaigrette. This delicious salad goes with just about anything and comes together in just 15 minutes!
Why You'll Love This Salad
This crispy crunchy salad is so delicious and hard to stop eating (I always want seconds!). Also known as Crunchy Romaine Toss Salad, I'm not sure which is my favorite part of this salad, the crispy crunchy romaine, broccoli, tomatoes, slivered almonds, and ramen noodles or the salad dressing (oh this salad dressing is the bomb. Some people say the dressing has an Asian flair; probably because of the soy sauce and red wine vinegar ). When all these ingredients come together, what a delightful flavor and texture experience! Even my husband, who is a ranch dressing person, ate two huge bowls of this salad!
What Makes This Salad Great
This quick and easy salad recipe only takes minutes to prepare. The toasting of the slivered almonds and Ramen noodle pieces takes the longest; only about 5-8 minutes. The ingredients are available virtually year-round, so this salad is an easy healthy side dish for the holidays or any time of the year.
Fresh Bunch of Broccoli
Salad Topping Ingredients:
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
Red Wine Vinegar
Preheat oven to 350F. Wash a head of romaine lettuce then tear into bite-size pieces. Chop one bunch of fresh broccoli into small florets. Slice 2-3 Roma tomatoes into quarters. Cut 4 green onions with a pair of scissors. Place these ingredients into a large salad bowl (I like to use a wooden salad bowl; so pretty).
Toss the slivered almonds and Ramen noodle pieces with melted butter (you can discard the seasoning packet that comes with the Ramen noodles, or save it for something else), place on a sheet pan, and toast in the oven. While these ingredients are toasting in the oven, combine oil, sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce.
You can use a clean, empty salad dressing bottle or a mason jar to mix and store the dressing. When ready to serve the salad, toss the salad mixture with ½ cup to 1 cup of the dressing. Prepare to be blown away, lol.
Make Ahead Directions
You can make the dressing a day or two in advance. Keep it in the refrigerator (I like to use a mason jar with a lid to store the dressing in). You can toast the almonds and ramen noodles ahead of time; let them cool off completely and store them in an airtight container (no need to refrigerate these). Then when ready to serve salad, mix the dressing, almonds, and ramen noodles with the salad and other ingredients.
Storing Leftovers in the Refrigerator
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator and eat the next day. Once the salad dressing is mixed in with the lettuce, the lettuce may get a little wilted. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon.
What to Serve with this Salad
This salad is fantastic all by itself! But if you're wondering what to serve with it, try my Red Snapper with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce, Reverse Seared New York Strip Steak, Honey Garlic Soy Chicken Thighs, or Best Southern Style Meatloaf.
If you try this recipe, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I always love to hear from my readers!
Join my email list to get a variety of Southern recipes sent to your inbox. How easy is that, right?!
Crunchy Romaine Toss Salad
- sheet pan (to toast the ramen noodles and slivered almonds)
- small bowl or container (for the dressing)
- measuring cup(s)
- measuring spoons
- large salad bowl
- 1 package Ramen noodles (throw away the seasoning packet)
- 1 cup slivered almonds (or walnuts, pecans)
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped about 1 bunch of broccoli
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 350F. Break the Ramen noodles into small pieces and add to a sheet pan with the slivered almonds. Pour melted butter on top and toss to evenly coat the noodles and almonds. Bake for 5-8 minutes until slightly browned. Remove from oven to cool.
- Mix the oil, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and black pepper in a small container.
- Place the lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, and green onions in a large salad bowl. Add the browned Ramen noodles and almonds.
- Just before serving, pour ½ cup to 1 cup of the dressing over the salad and mix well. (see recipe note).
If you try this recipe and like it, let me know! I'd love to hear from you!
Try Crunchy Romaine Toss Salad with my Best of the Best Meatloaf!