This homemade chicken broccoli alfredo pasta is simple and delicious! Chicken breast, broccoli, homemade alfredo sauce, and shaved parmesan cheese baked together for a meal that will become a family favorite. This recipe makes 4 large servings or 6 smaller servings if served with a side such as garlic bread or a green salad.
Quick Note: This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for details. Thank you.
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! I’m happy to share with you our chicken broccoli alfredo recipe! This easy dinner recipe is perfect for the family and ready to eat in 30 minutes. You can substitute fettuccine noodles for the penne pasta if you want. I happen to love penne pasta for this recipe because the alfredo sauce seems to make its way into the openings of the penne pasta.
Chicken alfredo is an Italian dish. The classic Italian recipe has a homemade alfredo sauce consisting of butter, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. I’ve replaced the heavy cream with whole milk but the butter and parmesan cheese are a must. Adding broccoli to the casserole adds beautiful color and a delicious crunch; however, you could substitute asparagus for the broccoli.
Are you always on the lookout for easy weeknight dinners for the family? This is one of our favorite kid-friendly dinner recipes. Even the grandchildren gobble this up!
Ingredients for Chicken Broccoli Alfredo with Penne Pasta
- Cooked Diced Chicken Breasts (3 cups) or use a whole rotisserie chicken
- Frozen Broccoli Florets (10 oz)
- Penne Pasta (8 oz uncooked)
- Parmesan Cheese (1/2 cup) shaved or shredded
- Whole Milk (2-1/2 cups)
- Butter (2 Tbsp)
- Cornstarch (2 Tbsp)
- Minced Garlic (1 tsp)
- Basil, dried (1/2 tsp)
- Rosemary, dried (1/4 tsp)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How to Make Homemade Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
Don’t let the homemade alfredo sauce intimidate you. It’s really easy and only takes a few minutes to make. It tastes fresher and better than the jar version. It’s very creamy and blends with the chicken and pasta in the most perfect way.
STEP 1: Cook chicken breasts that have been seasoned with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning, remove from pan and slice or chop.
STEP 2: Steam the broccoli per instructions on bag. Drain. Chop into smaller pieces if desired. Set aside.
STEP 3: Cook the pasta and drain. I love penne pasta, but I’ve used fettuccine as well. Set aside.
STEP 4: Melt butter, add cornstarch, seasonings, and milk in a pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
STEP 5: Add the chicken, broccoli, pasta, and cheese to the pan and mix well with the alfredo sauce. Pour into a 2-1/2 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
STEP 6: After plating, add additional parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired. I chose to use shaved parmesan instead of shredded, just for a change of pace! If you’re not a fan of parmesan cheese, try mozzarella.
I hope your family loves this chicken alfredo with broccoli as much as we do! Give it a try and let me know what you think, I’d love to hear from you!
Do you love pasta casserole recipes? If so, be sure to check out my Easy Rotel Chicken Spaghetti recipe. It’s a quick and easy dinner recipe that uses rotisserie chicken, rotel tomatoes, and velveeta cheese. If a beef noodle casserole is on your meal planner, try my Beef Noodle Casserole recipe. It’s filled with ground beef, egg noodles, robust tomato sauce, and a creamy cheesy sauce.
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Pasta
- 8 oz Dry penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 10 oz Frozen broccoli florets, steamed per directions
- 3 cups Chicken breasts, seasoned as desired, cooked and diced
- 2-1/2 cups Whole milk
- 1/2 cups Shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Basil, dried
- 1/4 tsp Rosemary, dried
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large pan. Stir in cornstarch and seasonings. Add milk. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Check the flavor and add additional seasonings if needed.
- Stir in chicken, broccoli, pasta, and cheese. Mix well and pour into a casserole. Cover.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until heated well. Top with additional parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, if desired.
How Long will Chicken Broccoli Alfredo last in the Fridge?
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 20-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids.
- You can use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add sliced sauteed mushrooms.
- Use asparagus instead of broccoli.
- Substitute 1 pound cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp for a delicious shrimp alfredo casserole.
Can I Freeze Leftover Chicken Broccoli Alfredo?
Yes, this freezes very well! Be sure to freeze in an airtight container to prevent ice crystals from forming. When you’re ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then heat in a 350F oven (or heat in the microwave) until piping hot.
A few of the items used for this recipe include:
Here are some other recipes you may like. By the way, the chocolate chess pie recipe is super crazy good.