This Instant Pot Mushroom Rice is an easy side dish for any occasion. Made with portobello mushrooms, brown rice, marsala wine, and chicken broth. Easy, flavorful one-pot mushroom rice that makes a great main dish as well.
Quick Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to my personal favorite items. Please read my disclosure statement for details. Thank you.
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! Here I go again with another rice recipe! If you love mushrooms and rice, then you’re going to love this delicious side dish. This comforting side dish recipe gets its rich, rustic flavor from the mushrooms and marsala wine.
Why you should make this recipe
If you’ve been wanting to try an instant pot rice recipe, then please try this one! It’s one of the most flavorful and delicious pressure cooker recipes around.
What is Mushroom Rice
Mushroom rice (or mushroom rice pilaf) has been around for as long as I can remember. It’s always been one of my favorite side dishes. It seems to go well with so many different main dishes such as roasted chicken, pork tenderloin, and even steak. What makes it so delicious is the rice absorbs all the flavors of the mushrooms, wine, broth, and seasonings as it is cooking in the Instant Pot.
Which is the best instant pot?
With so many brands of “instant pots” on the market now, how does one choose which one to purchase? Sometimes you can get away with purchasing the least expensive item on the shelf and it all works out fine, no problem. But for an instant pot, the safety features have to be of utmost importance; therefore, I would recommend sticking with a tried-and-true original.
The Instant Pot brand has a minimum of 10 safety features. Let’s face it, you don’t want any mishaps when cooking food under such high pressure! Flashback to my childhood: the top of our pressure cooker flew off under the pressure; there was food for days on the kitchen ceiling!! Having said that, you just can’t go wrong with the Original Instant Pot! It’s more than just a pressure cooker. It has 6 different uses: pressure cooker, rice cooker, and yes, even a slow cooker. You can steam, saute, and warm up food!
Mushroom Rice Recipe Ingredients
please be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for detailed ingredient information.
- Long-grain brown rice
- Chicken broth
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Unsalted butter
- Yellow onion
- Portobello mushrooms
- Fresh thyme
- Green onion
- Fresh parsley
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Marsala wine
- Be sure to rinse the rice as directed. Rinsing the rice will ensure that the rice won’t get sticky or mushy.
- You can skip the Marsala wine (but it really adds to the flavor of the dish). Substitute water for the wine if desired.
- Use any flavor broth – I happen to like chicken broth but vegetable broth is also good for this recipe.
- Add 1/2 cup green peas with the green onion and parsley to add more veggies to the dish.
How to cook mushroom rice in an Instant Pot
Please scroll down to the recipe card for much more detailed preparation information.
Step 1: Saute onions in olive oil and butter in your Instant Pot.
Step 2: Add mushrooms, wine, and thyme. Cook then remove from pot.
Step 3: Add butter and chicken broth to the pot. Add the rice. Brown the rice in butter in the Instant Pot.
Step 4: Add remaining broth to the Instant Pot. Cook 22 minutes.
Step 5: Return mushroom mixture to Instant Pot. Mix well.
Step 6: Add green onion and parsley. Fluff with fork. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
How Long Can I Store Leftovers in the Fridge
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I prefer to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco, available now on Amazon.
How Long Can I Store Leftovers in the Freezer
Store leftovers in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
What Goes with Mushroom Rice
You can eat this mushroom rice all by itself for a meal. Alternatively, you can serve it with meat such as fish, poultry, pork, or beef.
How can I make this a vegetarian mushroom rice
Super simple substitution! For great vegetarian mushroom rice, use a vegetable broth. Leave out the wine, if desired, and add an equal amount of broth instead. Eat as a main entree!
Need more recipe inspiration? Check out these other Instant Pot dishes:
If you try this delicious Instant pot brown rice with mushrooms recipe, let me know by leaving a comment below! I’d love to hear from you.
Let’s be social! Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter to get more delicious recipe ideas in your feed. You can also sign up for my email newsletter to get more traditional Southern recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice
- Instant pot
- measuring cup(s)
- measuring spoons
- Sharp kitchen knife
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 small yellow onions, diced (or 1 medium)
- dash sea salt if desired (the broth has salt in it, so go easy if you add additional salt)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 8 oz Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (or ¾ t. dried)
- 1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Select the “Sauté” function and the “high” setting on the Instant Pot. Add olive oil and one tablespoon butter. Add onions and half the garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and season with remaining garlic powder, additional salt (if needed), and black pepper, if desired. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and start to release their liquids, approximately 5minutes.
- Add the Marsala wine and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is reduced by half and the strong aroma dissipates, approximately 4-5minutes. Transfer sautéed mushrooms and onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of butter and one-quarter cup chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Gently scrape up any browned bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add another tablespoon of butter and one-quarter cup bouillon mixture to the InstantPot. Gently scrape up any browned bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rice and brown it, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and stir to combine. Cover and lock lid into place. Set valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” and “High Pressure” settings. Adjust cook time to 22 minutes.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the mushroom mixture and the remaining butter to the Instant Pot.
- Add the green onion and parsley and stir to combine.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and transfer the rice to a serving dish.