Ground beef seasoned with classic Tex-Mex spices, enchilada sauce, and salsa is layered with corn tortillas and cheddar cheese. Serve with sour cream and guacamole for a perfect weeknight family meal. Ready in 30 minutes – so what are you waiting for?
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! Here in the south, we are all about a casserole! Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food. Plus, casseroles are usually enough food to feed a crowd or at least have enough leftovers for another day. By the way, the leftovers are fantastic the next day 🙂
With all the classic flavors of a traditional enchilada, your whole family will want this for supper on a regular basis! Great for taco night and Cinco de Mayo!
This recipe is a quick and easy meal. We layer this casserole much like lasagna – tortillas strips, meat sauce, and cheese. After baking, take a big spoonful and plop it on your plate. Serve with traditional sides like sour cream, guacamole, sliced jalapenos, or diced tomatoes.
Substitutions and Add-Ins
- Double the recipe, use 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and bake as directed.
- Use shredded chicken for an amazing chicken enchilada casserole.
- Add a layer of drained corn.
- Add a layer of drained and rinsed pinto or black beans.
please scroll down to the printable recipe card for detailed ingredients and helpful information
Red enchilada sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
see recipe card detailed instructions and photos
(1) Brown the ground beef and drain off the grease.
(2) Add the salsa, enchilada sauce, water, and all the spices and seasonings.
(3) In a casserole dish, add a layer of sliced corn tortillas, half the meat sauce, then half the cheese. Repeat layer. Bake.
Make Ahead Option
Assemble recipe as directed. Bake then let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, uncover and bake as directed.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Use an airtight container for best results. I like this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco. Available now on Amazon.
Quick Note: This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for details. Thank you.
More delicious “Tex-Mex” recipes from My Kitchen Serenity!
Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Large Saute Pan
- measuring cup(s)
- measuring spoons
- Casserole dish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 white corn tortillas
- In a large saute pan, brown the ground beef and drain off the fat.
- Slice the corn tortillas into 3 strips each. TIP: stack the tortillas and use a pizza cutter to slice them.
- Add the salsa, enchilada sauce, water, and all the spices and seasonings. Stir well. Taste test and add more salt if desired. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Spray a 1.5-quart round casserole dish with non-stick spray (or 8-inch square pan). Add half the sliced corn tortillas, half the meat sauce, then the cheese. Repeat layer of tortilla strips, meat sauce, and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
If you like this recipe, let me know. I’d love to hear from you!