Roasted lemon rosemary chicken is a healthy and easy weeknight dinner! Lemon slices, fresh rosemary, and garlic are tucked away under the skin to ensure lots of flavor, then roasted to golden brown perfection. Gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and low carb!
Quick Note: This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for details. Thank you.
Welcome to My Kitchen Serenity! I’m happy to share with you this healthy baked chicken recipe. I love this chicken recipe because it’s easy and always comes out juicy and flavorful.
Bone-in chicken seems to have more flavor than boneless chicken. The skin offers a more juicy piece of chicken and typically does not dry out like boneless. You can discard the skin after the chicken has cooked.
Pictured below with the roasted chicken is our Roasted Rustic Potatoes (which I’ll have posted on the blog soon). However, if you need to keep this meal low-carb, just serve with a more suitable side or salad. My Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is a great low carb side.
Bone-in chicken tends to be more budget-friendly than boneless, skinless chicken. You could buy a chicken that’s already been cut up. However, a whole chicken is even less expensive. If you’ve never cut up a whole chicken yourself, it’s not difficult. You just need to know where to cut. Eating Well has a great article, with pictures, to teach you how to cut up a whole chicken. See their article here: How to Cut Up a Whole Chicken.
please scroll down to the printable recipe card for detailed ingredients and step by step directions
large sprigs rosemary
whole fryer chicken, cut into parts (bone in, skin on)
sea salt and black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
Kitchen Equipment Needed
large rimmed baking sheet
(optional) Silpat baking sheet (a non-stick silicone baking mat)
sharp kitchen knife
instant-read thermometer from Kizen
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Place cut-up chicken pieces on baking sheet (see Tip below).
- Loosen skin and insert the lemon slices, minced garlic, and rosemary pieces under skin.
- Brush chicken pieces with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes.
Tip: For best results, sprinkle salt and black pepper under the skin prior to stuffing with the lemon, rosemary, and garlic.
*Cook meat to temperature, not by time. Actual cooking time will vary based on a number of factors, including internal starting temperature, individual oven variations, size and thickness of the meat, what else is in the oven while cooking, etc.
The minimum safe recommended cooking temperature for bone-in chicken is 165°F (74°C). Check for doneness (at least 160°F as temperature will rise several degrees as the meat rests) with an instant-read thermometer after 35-40 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly.
Store leftover chicken in airtight containers for up to 3 days. I like to use BPA-free glass containers with locking lids. Check out this 18-piece set of glass food storage containers with locking lids from Bayco.
More Chicken Recipes from My Kitchen Serenity
Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- large rimmed baking sheet
- parchment paper or baking sheet (optional)
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Basting Brush
- instant read thermometer
- aluminum foil
- 2 large lemons, preferably organic
- 4-5 large sprigs rosemary, divided
- 1 (4-5 lbs.) whole fryer chicken, cut into parts (bone in, skin on)
- Sea salt and black pepper, light sprinkling
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon s extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a large rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Thinly slice both lemons, then cut the slices from one lemon into quarters. Break 2 of the rosemary sprigs into small pieces. Set aside.
- Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet without overcrowding. Use a sharp knife to gently lift the skin and sprinkle the meat with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Create a pocket under the skin with the knife and insert the quartered lemon slices, minced garlic, and the small pieces of rosemary inside. Drizzle the olive oil onto the chicken skin and coat the entire surface with a basting brush. Sprinkle with additional salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Scatter the whole lemon slices and rosemary sprigs onto the baking sheet and place into the pre-heated oven. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and is nicely browned on top.
- Remove from oven and brush the pan juices over the chicken with a clean basting brush. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes. Remove cover and brush pan juices over the chicken again. Discard rosemary sprigs and lemon slices before serving with your choice of sides.